Michael and I snuck out of the house Sunday night and went to Barnes and Noble. We needed a BREAK! We enjoyed looking at some magazines and then I wondered to the books about parenting. I picked up this book called 1 2 3 Magic and quickly remembered this is what we recommended to parents when I was a teacher at Jackson Elementary. The guidance counselors had the videos and books for parents to check out and learn this parenting technique. It definatley peeked some interest in me. I feel like I am doing a lot of arguing with Walt and constantly telling him to stop whining. The more and more I read reviews and thought about it, I feel like we should give it a go. It takes your emotions out of discipline and I need that. I get so aggrevated repeating myself and feel like it is a losing battle and then my tone is all wrong when I hit my limit ( I am admitting these things not to be judged but to make a change). I feel like we let the kids do something one day and scold them the next. I want to teach them boundaries and be consistent with them. I want them to know this is how it is and when I get 3 you are going to time-out and that is the decision you made. You had 2 warnings and chose not to stop the behavior.
So with all that said, we ventured out last night and I went back and bought the book and have started reading it. The age recommendation is 2-12 and we agree that we are both going to use this approach with our kids and see how it turns out. Stay posted....
No comments:
Post a Comment